Creating a moon poster - Or: How to record a moon mosaic

The DMK31AU03.AS camera only has a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixel. To create larger images one can record multiple regions after another (a mosaic) and then put them together to one big image. This can for example be simplified using the "EQ6 Mosaic" tool.

This tool allows recording defined regions after another just with a few clicks. Once you have defined the pixel size, the focal length of the optics and the desired overlap you are ready to go.

The image on the right consists of 6 single images. Each image is the result of an videos á 400 frames (@30fps). Each video has been stacked using Registax. Then the single images have been put together using gimp.

Here are some image details
  • Date: 2015/07/25
  • Location: Böblingen / Germany
  • Camera: DMK31AU03.AS
  • Telescope: 8" f/5 GSO Newton
The image is also available in full resolution here.


Last updated: December 22, 2015 at 8:55 am


Image Source DMK31 does not work with Windows 8.1 and Intel USB3.0 host controller

The Image Source DMK31 does not work with Windows 8.1and Intel USB3.0 host controller. This is what I had to find out recently.... But lets start from the beginning: Recently I bought a new notebook with USB3.0 ports. In general I thought USB2.0 devices should be back-compatible to USB3.0. However for the DMK31AU03.AS this assumption did not hold. Unfortunately I was not able to get the device to work with my new Lenovo Thinkpad T540p. After some research I found out that the problem seems to be caused by the Intel USB controller implementation (because the camera seems to work on some other USB 3.0 ports with other controllers). Similar problems seem to occur for other DMK models as well.

When I plug in the camera I hear the typical Windows sound that a new device has been connected (I am currently using Windows 8.1 for astrophotography since not all devices are working correctly with Linux :-(). However, no new device shows up in the "Device Manager". I also updated to the latest chipset and host controller drivers and of course I tried different USB cables and ports. The camera still works fine with my old notebook on an USB2 port.

However, when I start Continue reading →

The Great Orion Nebula - A second try

Actually this motif - the Great Orion Nebula (M42) - was one of the first nebula I have ever tried since starting with astrophotography. I was already quite satisfied with the first result (maybe because I didn't know better :)). Tonight I decided to give it another try. Personally I think it is much better than the last one. The image is also available in full resolution.

Date2014/02/07
LocationBöblingen / Germany
ObjectM42 (The Great Orion Nebula)
CameraAtik383L+
Guidingyes, QHY5-II Mono via OAG
Telescope8" GSO Newtonian
Barlow lensnone
MountEQ6 Syntrek
Cooling-15°C
Luminance2x, 2s, 20s, 100s, 200s, 600s, bin: 1x1
Red2x, 2s, 20s, 100s, 200s, 400s, bin: 2x2
Green2x, 2s, 20s, 100s, 200s, 400s, bin: 2x2
Blue2x, 2s, 20s, 100s, 200s, 400s, bin: 2x2
Dark10x
Flat10x
Total exposure~1h43min.
Last updated: December 27, 2015 at 21:57 pm


Jupiter and some of his moons

Tonight I imaged Jupiter and some of his moons - a relatively bright spot in the sky - with my DMK31AU03.AS "The Image Source" camera. This was the first time I saw Jupiter through a telescope. Fantastic! First I could not believe that the other bright spots around are some of his moons! Unfortunately I too excited to note down the camera setting this time... 🙂

One of the images below has been taken without a barlow lens and one with a 2x Powermate TeleVue barlow lens. For stacking the images I used the Registax tool. Last updated: December 20, 2015 at 17:42 pm